World's first medical networking and resource portal

Category : All
Medical Articles
Premature Ejaculation (Early Discharge during Intercourse)
Often many men come to our clinic with complaint of early discharge to such extent that they cannot enjoy sex. Often the partners are also disturbed by this short duration of intercourse. We call it Premature Ejaculation (PE). The problem of premature ejaculation occurs either prior to or a few moments after sexual penetration, leading to unsatisfactory sex for both you and your partner.

What is Premature ejaculation?

You are having PE if you ejaculate within one minute or before penetration and thus unable to enjoy intercourse and may try to avoid intercourse due to this fear and you have lost ability to control the ejaculation. The problem may even occur during masturbation.

Premature ejaculation can be classified as lifelong (primary) or acquired (secondary). Lifelong premature ejaculation occurs all or nearly all of the time beginning with your first sexual encounters. Acquired premature ejaculation has the same symptoms but develops after you've had previous sexual experiences without ejaculatory problems. But whatever be the problem, it is easily treatable although for some men it can take some time.

What are the causes of PE?

It may be due to anxiety or stress. Many men with relationship problems with their partners or wives feel this problem. Nut make sure that it's not due to Erectile Dysfunction (ED). Men who are anxious about obtaining or maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse may form a pattern of rushing to ejaculate, which can be difficult to change. Smoking and alcohol can worsen the problems. Some other diseases may sometimes be responsible- like prostatitis (infection of the prostate gland), problems in nerves supplying the penis, problems in some hormones and rarely diabetes. So, it's important to pinpoint the cause so that the treatment can be started sooner and easily.

Is it a serious illness?

Unlike erectile dysfunction, PE is not usually related to any serious diseases (remember erectile dysfunction can be sign of early heart disease or diabetes). But it can affect your family relationship. In severe cases, it may be responsible for infertility.

What to do?

Initially you can try home-remedies. Avoid anxiety and stress. Reduce alcohol and stop smoking. Other simple strategies are avoiding intercourse for 2-3 days so that you can achieve better control in it. Alternatively you can try masturbation one or two hours before actual intercourse so that the discharge can be delayed. You can try squeeze and release technique (squeezing the penis when you feel urge to ejaculate). Using thick condoms can help some men by reducing sensitivity. If these do not work, you should consult your doctor.

Why should I consult doctor for PE?

There are advertisements of various untested drugs in newspaper and TV. If you try these, you can damage your sex organs or sex life as a whole. Because, we do not know what are the contents of these medicines or oil and how do they work. Moreover we do not know how far they are safe. So if home-strategies do not work, get rid of hesitancy and consult doctor. Your doctor may ask you some questions but please be free to reply to them, however embarrassing these might be. He may examine you to find out the cause of this PE. It is important to be sure that you are not having any ED, for which separate treatment is needed. Often counseling and talking to doctor help a lot. He may help you to perform some exercises and follow some tips properly. If you cannot do these exercises properly, these will be of no benefit. Finally your doctor may give you some drugs or ointments to improve your performance. It is important to follow doctor's advice properly- to take drugs in prescribed doses and timing. Usually men with secondary or acquired PE improve faster than men with primary PE.


You and your partner have full right to enjoy sex for the duration as you want. Do not disappoint you and your partner. If you feel that you cannot control your early discharge, do not feel embarrassed. Consult doctor and get cured.

Category (Sexuality & Venereal Disorders)  |   Views (2682)  |  User Rating
Rate It

Browse Archive