World's first medical networking and resource portal

Articles
Category : All
Medical Articles
Jul22
AN OBSERVATION ON NEUROCYSTICECOSIS
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
The study has been undertaken to identify the incidence, clinical presentation and response to treatment of nerurocysticercosis (NC) in Western Orissa.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
150 patients presenting with convulsion were investigated for NC with CT scan and ELISA and confirmed cases of NC were given albendazole, steroid and anticonvulsant and were followed up at regular interval for 3 months.

RESULT:
Out o f150 patients with convulsion 40(26.6%) were diagnosed to have NC. Out of 40 patients of NC 8 (20%) were vegetarian and 32(80%) were non-vegetarian including 5 pork eaters. 24 (60%) cases had presented with focal convulsion. In 32 (80%) cases CT showed single ring enhancing lesion (SSEL) and 8 (20%) showed multiple enhancing and non-enhancing lesions.

The common site of lesion is in parenchyma. In 30(75%) cases the lesion were found in the parietal lobe, ELISA for IgG NC was found 32(80%) and 24(60%) cases in CSF and serum respectively. Repeat CT Scan 3 month after treatment with albendazole (15 mg/kg/day fro 28 days) steroid and anticonvulsant, showed complete resolution in 36 (90%) cases. Remaining 4 (10%) cases those not resolved were calcified lesion.

CONCLUSION:
NC is a common cause of late onset focal convulsion in this part of country. As very few 5(12.5%) cases consumed pork, transmission fo NC through raw vegetable is a strong possibility, which may be due to contamination through the bio-fertilizer commonly used in this part of the country


Category (General Medicine)  |   Views (3934)  |  User Rating
Rate It


Browse Archive